Women's Heart Health
Heart disease kills nearly 500,000 women each year and is the leading cause of death in women over the age of 25. In Mississippi, women are at even greater risk. In fact, in the Hinds-Madison-Rankin County area, 86% of women between the ages of 40 and 70 are at risk for a first heart attack. Of that group, 54% are not even aware that they are at risk. However, chest pain can be associated with conditions other than a heart attack.
Women who experience any of the warning signs of a heart attack should call 911 immediately.
Our experienced team of cardiac specialist will quickly evaluate your symptoms and determine what is causing your discomfort.
Classic symptoms of heart attack:
- Squeezing chest pain or pressure
- Shortness of breath
- Tightness in chest
- Pain spreading to shoulder, neck or arm
More likely symptoms of heart attack in women:
- Indigestion or gas-like pain
- Dizziness, nausea or vomiting
- Unexplained weakness, fatigue
- Discomfort/pain between shoulder blades
- Recurring chest discomfort
- Sense of impending doom