Up to two-thirds of all cancer cases could be prevented if people applied everything known about cancer prevention to their lives, according to the American Cancer Society. By committing to a healthier lifestyle, you can reduce your risks for many cancers.
Four steps to start you on your way:
Screenings offered through St. Dominic’s Cancer Services:
St. Dominic’s Cancer Services offers a free skin cancer screening to the public during late spring each year. Spots are limited and registration is required. These screenings include a full-body scan provided by a specialty physician. The physicians let patients know if they have any dangerous skin lesions at the screening appointment and they make recommendations accordingly.
To find out about the next free skin cancer screening, please call (601) 200-3070.
St. Dominic’s Lung Cancer Screening
St. Dominic’s was awarded a Screening Center of Excellence by the Lung Cancer Alliance
Lung cancer screenings for individuals with a high risk for lung cancer are offered at St. Dominic Hospital.
- Initial RN consult and risk assessment
- Low dose CT scan (without contrast)
- 24 hour follow up with results
- Connection to St. Dominic’s multi-disciplinary team for thoracic oncology (radiologist, pulmonology, thoracic surgery, pathology, medical oncology, radiation oncology, primary care network)
- 55–80 years of age
- 30 or > pack years of smoking
- Current smoker or quit within the past 15 years
Calculate smoke pack years link: www.smokingpackyears.com
For additional questions, please call
Early Detection Saves Lives
- The goal of screening exams for breast cancer is to find cancers before they start to cause symptoms (like a lump that can be felt).
- Digital Mammography
- Breast Ultrasound
- Bone Density
- Breast MRI (available at St. Dominic’s Hospital)
- Ultrasound Guided Biopsy
- Stereotactic Guided Biopsy
- MRI Guided Biopsy
When Do I Start?
- Yearly mammograms are recommended starting at age 40 and continuing for as long as a woman is in good health.
- If you have a family history of breast cancer, talk with your physician about the right time for your screening.
Where Can I Receive My Screening Exam?
For your convenience, St. Dominic’s offers mammography services with our state-of-the art equipment and individualized care at two American College of Radiology (ACR) accredited locations:
St. Dominic’s Center for Women’s Health
371 Lakeland Drive
Jackson, MS 39216
Madison Medical Imaging (MMI)
St. Dominic’s Highland Medical Arts building
106 Highland Way, Madison, MS
*Mammography images from both locations are read and interpreted by the same team of St. Dominic’s physician partners, Lakeland Radiologists.
Call St. Dominic’s at (601) 200-6732 to schedule a screening mammogram appointment.